25 June 2007

Farvning med birkeblade/Birch Leaves Dyeing

"Heksemutter lod en tudse..."
At der skulle kunne komme noget, man har lyst til at være i nærheden af, ud af DET.... (picture1 ):
"...rimme rum rimme rum..."
Men nu ser det lidt mindre giftigt ud (picture2):
"...røg i ringe, uhm uhm uhm."

Og som ved magi transformerer det sig til smukt garn... (picture3):De grønne er forfarvet med indigo.
Række 1 (fra oven til venstre): Spelsau (åklegarn), gotlandsk pelsuld, Skotsk uld, New Zealandsk uld.
Række 2 og 3: Spelsau.
Række 4: Entrådet islandsk uld.

Alt dette (og 3 nøgler mere, som allerede er blevet brugt) er farvet med 3 kg tørrede birkeblade. Så vidt jeg husker ca. 4,5 kg garn. Jeg garnet stå over varme i farvesuppen i to timer, og derefter køle af et døgns tid deri, inden jeg tog det op.

In English:
My latest dyeing with birch leaves (accompained by a Danish children's song about a cooking witch).
Picture 1: Boiling,
Picture2: Cooling,
Picture3: Final result. The green yarns are predyed with indigo.
Row 1, from left: Spelsau, gotlandic, scottish, new zealandic.
Row 2 and 3: Spelsau.
Row 4: Icelandic 1-ply.

This, about 4,5 kg of yarn, is dyed with 3 kg dried birch leaves. It was in the heated dyebath for 2 hours (I'm not sure it's correct English, but you understand, right? I put the yarn in when the dyebath had the right temperature, and kept that temperature for 2 hours), and cooled of inthere for about 24 hours.

9 comments:

vandy said...

Yum!

Jan Bode Smiley said...

Oh, the yellows and the greens are all wonderful! I'm going to have to try dyeing with birch leaves - what species of birch did you use, and do you know if it makes a difference?

Jan Smiley
www.jansmiley.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Really pretty. I miss my birch tree that died. This makes me really want to plant a new one.

k baxter packwood said...

How did you get the greens? Gorgeous colors btw!

Saga said...

To Jan Bode Smiley:
I don't know which spieces it it, but probably Betula pendula, the most common birch in Denmark.
I don't know of that there should be any differences in the colour you get from the different spieces, but Betula nana should give the brighest/strongest colour.

To k baxter packwood:
I dyed the yarn with indigo firstly, and then put it in the yellow dyebath. I use the lye-hydrosulphite vat method.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I saw the link to your blog on on one of the yahoo lists. Beautiful dyeing. Thanks for the English translation.

Mary, a shepherd in eastern New York USA

Simmy said...

Oh my goodness - what beautiful colours. Up till now my fave green has been turmeric/indigo or goldenrod/indigo but this seems to beat them both. I definately have to try birch leaves - we have a birch in the garden.

Saga said...

Oh, thank you all of you. I'm overwhelmed, I don't think I have ever gotten so many comments on a post. I'm very happy for all the nice words.

Simmy: The yarn is a big part of it, the spelsau dyes really beautiful. But birch does give a lovely colour. my personal favourite.
I also had two more green skeins that were darker, a colour just like lush dark green grass, but they were virtually ripped from my hands, as soon as I had finished them ;).

Inca said...

Beautiful :) I told you I'd be stopping by your blog. I bought two indigo skeins from you at Trelleborg and am still thinking up a good project for them :) You should be getting yourself an Etsy shop ;)